Supervision - Friday 29 July 2022 (10h00-12h00) by Cecilia Raath
Cecilia Raath is a Physiotherapist with a passion for assisting patients suffering from women’s health and men’s health conditions and the influence these problems may have on relationships, their confidence and self-image.
Common women’s health conditions such as urine leakage, pelvic organ prolapse, dyspareunia (painful intercourse), recurrent bladder infections and constipation are treatable with pelvic health physiotherapy. Men’s health conditions include pelvic pain, post-prostatectomy incontinence, erectile dysfunction, premature – or delayed ejaculation, constipation and Peyronie’s disease.
Other passions are treating paediatric pelvic health conditions such as nocturnal enuresis (bed wetting) and encopresis (involuntary defecation). Pregnancy related pelvic girdle pain (PRPGP), pelvic floor dysfunction post-natal, diastasis recti abdominis, symphysis pubis – and sacro-iliac joint dysfunctions are conditions which interest her and which she loves to treat.
Cecilia has been practicing since 1999 and lecturing pre- and postgraduate students in this field since 2012. She was one of the very first members of the My Sexual Health Team. With her extended knowledge of concomitant orthopaedic and other pelvic conditions (such as low back pain and pelvic girdle pain and – dysfunction), she evaluates the pelvis as a three dimensional multi-structure and treats it holistically, seeking to address the driver of the problem. These, often mechanical dysfunction’s origin may have been previous sports injuries, minor trauma, and habitual postures.
Cecilia has published an article in the prestigious Journal of Sexual Medicine with Dr Elna Rudolph and Catriona Boffard in June 2017, Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy for Erectile Dysfunction – Fact or Fallacy? She also has been invited to speak at the ASSM (African Society for Sexual Medicine) Conference on Premature Ejaculation (PE).
- B.Physt (UP)
- Research study at UP as part of fulfilment: “Die bewustheid van vroue en algemene praktisyns in Pretoria van die fisioterapeutiese behandeling van stresinkontinensie”
- Post-graduate certificate in Orthopaedic Manipulative Therapy
- Post-graduate certificate in Sport Physical Therapy
- Post-graduate certificate in Women’s Health Physiotherapy – this includes men’s health conditions
Additional Sexual Health Related Memberships:
- Southern African Sexual Health Association
- My Sexual Health
- Pelvic & Women’s Health Physiotherapy Group (PWHPG)
- South African Urogynaecology Association (SAUGA)
- International Organisation of Physical Therapy for Pelvic and Women’s Health (IOPTPWH)
Additional Sexual Health Related Courses/CPDs:
- Postgraduate study in Mechanical Diagnosis and Therapy (MDT)(McKenzie institute): PART A-D, Masterclass: Mechanical Unresponsive Radiculopathy
- Numerous postgraduate courses since 1998
- Registered Physiotherapist with the HPCSA in South Africa
- Practice Number: PR0198374
- HPCSA Number: PT0065900
- SASP Number: RAA001